In a move that I don’t think anyone could have seen coming, Bandai Namco Entertainment announced this morning that they will be bringing Pac-Man, one of their legacy franchise titles, to the Nintendo Switch in the form of Pac-Man 99, an online battle royale title.
The announcement came in a YouTube trailer posted to the official Nintendo YouTube channel. The official Nintendo website for Pac-Man 99 has outlined the following features:
A 99-player online PAC-MAN battle royale!
- 40 years after the classic Pac-phenomenon rocked the gaming world, PAC-MAN is back in a new 99-man battle royale. Get back in the maze and chase down the iconic ghosts. Who will be the last PAC-MAN standing?
Switch between eight different strategies and send Jammer Pac-Man to get in your opponents’ way!
- Eat a Power Pellet to turn the ghosts blue and make them vulnerable. Eat them to send Jammer Pac-Man to your opponents! The more ghosts you eat, the more Jammers you’ll send!
- Eat a Ghost Train for a huge comeback!
- Gain the upper hand by switching between eight different preset strategies: speed up, send extra Jammers, and more. Switching at just the right moment could give you an edge over your rivals!
Make the game look like your favorite NAMCO classics!
- You can purchase downloadable custom themes based on Xevious, GALAGA, Dig Dug, and more to change the look of the game.
- There are twenty different classic themes in all! Plus, they do more than change the graphics! Check out the sounds too!
- Which classic Namco title is the one for you?
Pac-Man 99 is going to be available to download on the Nintendo eShop on 7 April 2021 for free, exclusive for Nintendo Switch Online members.