OTAQUEST is expanding.
Are you a fan of Japanese pop culture and looking for an outlet to share your love of the topic to others? Then you’ve come to the right place. We’re looking for passionate fans of a variety of topics pertaining to the wide breadth of pop & subculture topics in Japan. Check out the current listing of open positions below to see if you might be a good fit.
Freelance Writer (Worldwide)
OTAQUEST is building out its writing team! We’re looking for writers who are entrenched in the “now” of Japanese culture and actively seek out new trends & topics in their fields of interest. Candidates should be the type of person who is known for being ahead of the curve on topics revolving around Japanese culture and is outspoken about the things they care most about. We’re not looking for people who have a western outlook on these topics, you really have to be in the thick of things and have a strong, realistic understanding of current trends in the Japanese pop & subculture landscapes. The topics we cover in earnest are highlighted at the top of the page: Anime, Music, Fashion, Manga, Games, Food, and Art. Other topics such as traditional culture, travel, political interest, etc. are also accepted although not the primary focus of our coverage.
What we’re looking for:
- Writers with a personal & conversational tone who have a passion for Japanese culture.
- Someone who can independently source news & editorial content, while also coordinating with a team for different types of feature-based content
- Can comfortably work within deadlines
- Has knowledge & familiarity with online publishing tools & CMS applications
- The ability to use image editing software is a plus, but not required
We’re currently looking for writers in all fields but are placing priority on candidates who can cover current fashion, music, and art trends.
If you’re interested in joining our team of writers, send the following to [email protected]
- Three Japanese pop culture-related writing samples
- Your five favorite topics relating to Japanese pop/subculture
- A short explanation of why you’d like to join our team and any unique qualities you may be able to bring to the table
OTAQUEST is committed to building an inclusive team and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.