With the PlayStation 5 just a few mere weeks away, it seemed only fitting that Sony updated their official PlayStation App for iOS and Android. Previous updates to the app were small in comparison to this update as the app received a complete overhaul of the interface, as well as got a bunch of new treats that players can take advantage of once they update their app on their mobile device.
With the app getting a major overhaul, Sony added a bunch of new functionality to the app, so let’s take a look at what the new app can do:
- Updated User Interface – The first thing you’ll notice is the sleek new user interface of the redesigned PlayStation App. The new home screen lets you quickly see what your friends are playing and access details about your recently played games, including your Trophy List.
- Messages Integration – For a unified experience, the PlayStation Messages app feature will now be integrated into the updated PlayStation App so you can seamlessly message your friends all in one place. As part of this integration, PlayStation Messages will no longer be available as a standalone app. Your existing messages and threads in PlayStation Messages will be carried over to the updated PlayStation App.
- Voice Chat and Party Groups – You can now create party groups from PlayStation App, and voice chat with up to 15 other friends through your mobile phone. Also, a note to fans: the PlayStation team is looking into your feedback around the Parties changes introduced in the PS4 system software update 8.00. There are no updates to share today, but thanks for speaking up about your concerns—we’re listening and evaluating.
- Natively Integrated PlayStation Store and Remote Downloads – The new native PlayStation Store experience enables fast and smooth shopping and browsing, with the ability to remotely download games and add-ons directly to your PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.
- New Features for PlayStation 5 – When PlayStation 5 arrives, you’ll be able to remotely launch games, manage storage on your console if you run out of space while downloading a game, and quickly sign in to PlayStation 5 straight from the PlayStation App.
- All the Latest PlayStation News – The Explore tab surfaces Official News from game developers and PlayStation Blog content to help you stay up to date with the world of PlayStation.
PlayStation 4 owners can take advantage of the app right now by updating their app via the App Store or Google Play Store. Sony promises more functionality coming to the app once the PlayStation 5 launches.
As for myself as someone who used the previous app quite religiously, I’m beyond ecstatic that they made the PlayStation store a native built-in functionality rather than being just a webview displayed within the app. It makes the experience so much better.