Nintendo is constantly updating the content on their Nintendo Switch Online platform. This morning, they announced the new titles that will be hitting their Nintendo Switch Online NES and SNES catalog. Four new SNES titles and one NES title are being added next week on 26 May 2021.
With the May update, the Nintendo Switch Online service has finally surpassed 100 titles! The SNES titles that they announced are:
- Caveman Ninja (also known as Joe & Mac): Can cave-dudes Joe and Mac rescue the lost cave-dudettes? In this action game from 1991, life was pretty cool for Joe and Mac until a bunch of Neanderthal nerds crashed their village. The dudes will have to leap to the rescue and jump, dash, and use roll attacks to get past the stone-age obstacles in their way. Just make sure to pick the best weapon for the situation, and the boys are sure to make it through!
- Magical Drop 2: This puzzle game launched on the Super Famicom system in 1996, but it never saw an English release. But even if you’ve never played the game, the rules are simple to learn. Catch and throw the drops that descend from overhead. Create vertical lines of three drops of the same color to clear all the connected drops. Enjoy four playable modes, including a mode that assigns you a rank when the game ends, as well as a story mode with 10 characters to play!
- Super Baseball Simulator 1.000: Get ready for high intensity, superhuman baseball spectacles! Use Ultra Plays like Phantom Ball, which will make the ball vanish mid-pitch, or Meteor Hit, which will knock out fielders who make contact with the ball before it bounces. With multiplayer options, a grand total of 18 baseball teams and the ability to create your own original team, this is the wacky baseball simulation dreams are made of!
- Spanky’s Quest: Spanky was on his way to a picnic when the witch Morticia began dropping bricks from the sky. Trapped, with six towers now built across the land, Spanky must clear each before the witch’s evil pet crow catches him. He’ll have to use his magic ball to stun enemies, bounce it off his head to power it up and pop it to attack… and try on some hats along the way.
For the NES, Nintendo is adding the following title:
- Ninja JaJaMaru-kun: Take on the role of a ninja and rescue the captured Princess Sakura in this action-packed game, originally released only in Japan. JaJaMaru must use his throwing stars to defeat lurking monsters. Keep an eye out for the ultimate power-up: a ride on Gamapa-kun, the giant frog!
The Japanese May update will see a slightly different update. The following titles are added for the Super Famicom:
- Joe & Mac
- Brass Numbers
- Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- Magical Drop 2
For the Famicom, Japan will also be seeing Ninja JaJaMaru-kun.
At the pace that Nintendo has been adding titles to the Nintendo Switch Online platform, I can’t say that I am thrilled with the new announcements… Hopefully, we can start seeing some more of those legendary titles hit the platform that made our childhood so memorable sooner rather than later.