Surfing is not a sport which gets a lot of attention in anime.
Fortunately for surfing anime fans, the movie WAVE!! Surfing Yappe!! will come out in October.
To give people a taste of this film, the creators posted the first few minutes on Avex Pictures’ YouTube channel this week.
The main characters are Masaki Hinaoka (voiced by Tomoaki Maeno), a local Oarai teen, who befriends Sho Akitsuki (Jin Ogasawara), a transfer student.
Masaki is a surf novice who picks up Sho’s passion for surfing. Other characters include:
- Nalu Tanaka (Yoshiki Nakajima), a half-Japanese, half-Hawaiian who loves ukulele
- Kosuke Iwana (Takuya Sato), a former baseball player turned surfer
- Yuta Matsukaze (Yusuke Shirai), an analytical sort whose parents run a surf shop
- Naokya Kido (Shinichi Toki), an otaku from the country
- Rindo Fuke (Nobuhiko Okamoto), Japan’s greatest surfer
- Soichiro William Mori (Showtaro Morikubo), a wealthy surfer
The film is the newest piece of a multimedia project by media company Love&Art and video game developer and record label MAGES.
The film will be divided into three parts. They will be released in Japan on Oct. 2, Oct. 16, and Oct. 30.
So far, it’s hard to tell if this movie will shoot the tube or wipeout.
The Nippon Surfing Association supervised the project, which is a good sign. The characters should know their Hang Ten from their Shaka.
Surf Magazine and Murasaki Sports are also listed as having supervised or given cooperation with the production.
One thing is certain; this film is certainly unique. There’s very little in anime to compare it with.
For example, Nagisa Saito in Ika Musume is a surfer. Last year, the romantic comedy film Ride Your Wave also featured surfing.
However, surfing will be a sport at the Tokyo 2020 (2021?) Olympics.